Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Blog Post #15 -Short Analysis Project


Every day we are faced with situations that are a lot more serious than the next. There are countless “gray areas” in life that may be a little difficult for us to comment on with a straight forward and honest answer. We all have different ways in which we handle discussing these tough topics. Everyone has their own tactic, (sometimes unknowingly) unique to their language that helps them get through some of the more uncomfortable conversations they may find themselves in. In an interview between myself, B, and my participant, J, I was able to see some of his tactics in getting around the more challenging questions that came along with my interview.

            In my interview, I asked a series of questions in hopes to find out what students really think about plagiarism. My participant, J, was very honest with his answers, even when it came to the questions that revealed a bit more of his academic character. Or was he? I began to notice a pattern of laughter in his more detailed answers to some of my most serious questions. After analyzing my interview transcript, a total of five times was recorded in correlation to a serious question and some giggles within the answer I received. I want to focus on my participant’s use of laughter in his language and how I believe it is used to make light of a topic far from comical.

            J and I dove right into the interview after some very brief small talk. When asked about his overall writing process, J was very stern in his answer. There was no hesitation as he explained his usual sequence of planning. I followed up by asking him when he thinks it’s a good idea to paraphrase. This is where the pattern begins. The beginning of J’s answer to that was, “I actually paraphrase a lot. I think it's always a good time for paraphrasing! (laughs)” Here, J’s laugh indicated  hesitation in his answer. What was so funny about what he just said? The laugh was more nervous than of something humorous. Culturally, paraphrasing is one of those “gray areas” I mentioned earlier. The use of his laughter at this very moment led me to believe J was a bit nervous and even unsure of whether his answer was culturally acceptable or not. So to make light of the situation, a little chuckle was inserted. I smiled, he continued on to say, “It definitely helps to add in some extra info to your paper instead of just your own made up ideas, and I think it helps because it makes your paper look a lot more accurate.” The use of the word “look” also stood out to me. By using the word “look”, J is giving the impression that paraphrasing helps to mask the body of a paper by giving it a better appearance.

            The interview continued to flow and J told me how he cites some of his sources. After explaining his logic for citing some things and leaving out others, I asked him how he avoids plagiarism altogether. His answer started with, “Well, I never copy and paste. (laughs)” Here I noticed the pattern of laughter continuing on. It is very common throughout the student culture to believe that as long as you’re not copying material word for word, plagiarism isn’t being committed. This belief is controversial, as not copying word for word would lead to paraphrasing. J’s use of laughter after that statement indicates that he doesn’t fully believe himself and it was almost funny to him. The word “well” also stood out to me. The use of “well” in this sentence, gives the impression that not copy and pasting was good enough, in terms of not committing plagiarism.

            It wasn’t long before the pattern of laughter continued to develop, J gave me his definition of plagiarism and I proceeded to ask him one of the core questions for my interview. I asked him if he thought his peers used the internet as a crutch to help develop their ideas when writing. J’s answer started off with him sounding very sure of himself, “Yeah, for sure” was the first sentence he used. It was short and sweet, and straight to the point with no hesitation in his voice. J told me that a lot of students like to use websites that offer things like message boards and chat rooms to get ideas from others, live and online. Then he said, “Message boards are a great place for this, or even yahoo answers or just some sites that professors don't really like us using (giggles).”  J’s use of laughter here was a bit different from his use of laughter in the previous excerpts. This time, the laughter used in his language did not seem to come from nervousness, or to be cunning, but he just didn’t seem to take the idea too seriously. By saying “or just some sites that professors don't really like us using” J creates a genre of sites that professors prefer their students not use for reliable information. Laughing afterwards, shows he doesn’t take that genre seriously, and also implies that students may just use them anyway.

            J uses laughter to give the feel of the situation at hand a little twist twice more. I asked him if he’d ever add the sites “professors don’t really like us to use” to his works cited page. J said, “yeah these I’d just leave those out (laughs). I feel like once a professor sees those names on a paper, it's automatically trash.” Not only does his laughter indicate that he knows leaving these sites out contribute to committing plagiarism, but the sentence that follows helps to confirm this belief. J “feels” that these sites will discredit his work. The word “trash” is a strong one because no student wants to consider their work as garbage. Knowing that his efforts may be overlooked due to the name of a site, and not wanting his work to be “trash”, he deliberately leaves those sites out of his paper and knows this is a part of plagiarism. That’s why he laughs at the thought of just leaving them out.

            This sets the tone for J’s final outburst of laughter. I finally asked J if he did this because he wanted to avoid embarrassment, his response to that was, “Ummmm... It's not really about being embarrassed; I just wouldn't want to do it over because the professor thinks the info is useless. But when they don't know I get the grade. (laughs)” It is clear that in the end, J’s laughter derives from being able to get one over on his professor and get his grade without getting caught for plagiarism. Of course, he did not say this so bluntly. But the use of laughter in his language helps to mask this serious issue into one that isn’t such a big deal. 

            I don’t think J realized what he was doing, as he was doing it. Our interview flowed very naturally. Laughter was such a strong pattern and it was used in a series of ways. It was used in conjunction with nervousness. It was used unknowingly when he didn’t take things serious. And it was used as almost a relief when he knew he was getting away with something that could possibly hurt his entire college career.

No comments:

Post a Comment