Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Blog Post 20

Statement of focus: In my study on plagiarism, I want to focus on what students really think about plagiarism, (I guess in terms of how serious it is to them, and if they think it's made a bigger deal than it should be? idk... just some thoughts to make it less broad) and what compels them  to use the web for "help".

-I want to get this information through the students perspective since articles I've read have been strictly through the eyes of the educator and their guesses on why students reference the internet so much. There are some pieces of my current interview transcript that I feel can really help support this focus, but more so, have helped me to realize I want to ask my participant more precise questions so that I'm better able to support my focus. I think this excerpt is really good so far in doing this:

"B: I see. Why do you think students are compelled to do this though? Do you think students don't have a good writing process that works for them?

J: That could definitely be a possibility. I think a lot of us students are expected to know how to come up with all these great ideas, or expected to know how to write a good paper. I'm a psychology major and my first few years I had a bunch of just general English classes and almost every professor had different expectations and had different ideas on what was right and what wasn't. Coming out of high school, not everything I was taught was acceptable but I didn't know that. There just wasn't anything I had learned in between to bridge that gap on learning how to write a GOOD paper that met all the right guidelines you know what I mean? So I just had to wing it depending on who was grading my paper. And when I could use the internet I did, without hesitation. But I wouldn't say I was cheating though."

No comments:

Post a Comment